News from LINC
Connecting people to independence!
When you become disabled, it can be a very stressful time in your life. There are many questions and unknowns when you have to transition out of the workforce due to medical issues. While an employer may offer short or long-term disability, most people faced with a disability will file for benefits with Social Security.
If you’re new to life with a disability and don’t know where to start, we encourage you to visit the website at www.socialsecurity.gov/disabilityssi. You can apply for benefits on the website; it’s the most convenient way. Additionally, you can contact SS at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or visit your local office if you wish to apply for disability benefits. When applying for benefits, you should be prepared to answer a number of questions including:
- When your condition(s) became disabling
- Dates you last worked;
- The names, addresses, phone numbers, and dates of visits to your doctors;
- The names of medications that you take and medical tests you’ve had; and
- Marital information.
In addition, if you plan on applying for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) disability payments, for people with low income who haven’t paid enough in Social Security taxes to be covered,you will be asked questions about:
- Your current living arrangement, including who lives there and household expenses;
- All sources of income for you and your spouse, if applicable; and
- The amount of your resources, including bank account balances, vehicles, and other investments.
You can view a disability starter kit at: www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/disability_starter_kits.htm.
Remember, Social Security is there when you are faced with an obstacle in your life. – by Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications
LINC has three offices to serve you. www.lincidaho.org
1182 Eastland Drive North
Twin Falls ID 83301
(208) 733-1712 VOICE
(208) 733-7711 TDD
1878 West Overland Road
Boise ID 83705
(208) 336-3335 VOICE
(208) 336-3335 TDD
(208) 384-5037 FAX
4110 Eaton Avenue
Caldwell ID 83605
(208) 454-5511 VOICE
(208) 454-5511 TDD
(208) 454-5515 FAX