Individuals with disabilities should feel as safe and secure in their communities and work environments as individuals without disabilities. Too often, however, the needs of people with disabilities are not considered in emergency planning, despite the fact that the need for such planning has received an increased focus due to recent disasters, both natural and man-made.
To help address this disparity, ODEP — through its leadership on the Interagency Coordinating Council on Emergency Preparedness and Individuals with Disabilities — helped develop several resources to assist individuals, organizations, and employers create emergency preparedness plans that take into account the needs of people with disabilities.
The following provide more information about emergency preparedness and people with disabilities:
Tools and Guidelines
- Preparing the Workplace for Everyone: Accounting for the Needs of People with Disabilities — Practical guidelines for to help emergency managers and employees plan for workplace emergencies. Developed by a committee of Federal agencies, this framework has had several updates.
- Stairwell Use During an Emergency — Addendum to Preparing the Workplace for Everyone with guidelines for serving individuals with disabilities during an emergency that involves stairs or stairwells.
- Effective Emergency Preparedness Planning: Addressing the Needs of Employees with Disabilities — Fact sheet that provides overview of how to effectively take into account the needs and perspectives of people with disabilities in workplace emergency preparedness plans.
- Job Accommodation Network (JAN) — ODEP funded service that provides free, expert and confidential guidance on workplace accommodations for people with disabilities, including information on emergency preparedness planning.
- Employers’ Guide to Including Employees with Disabilities in Emergency Evacuation Plans
- Disability Resource Center — Practical information on emergency preparedness and disability from the Interagency Coordinating Council on Emergency Preparedness and Individuals with Disabilities, which facilitates collaboration among multiple Federal agencies on emergency plans as they impact people with disabilities.
- Disability.gov: Emergency Preparedness — Resources on effective emergency preparedness planning in the workplace and community.